For years now, Ghana has been hit by at least 15 earthquakes- with the first occurring in 1615. The highest and deadliest earthquake in Ghana occurred in 1862 and 1939 both with a magnitude of 6.5. In 1862 every building in Accra was razed to the ground and in 1939, 16 people were killed and 133 people got injured.
Since 2019 began, we have experienced three earthquakes(magnitude of 2.6 on the Richter scale on January 13, 2019, and 2.8 on February 25, 2019) with the recent being the highest(magnitude of 3.9) and quite fortunately, last weeks earthquake was a light one on the Richter scale. With the gradual increase in the magnitude of the earthquake occurrences, how best can we protect ourselves?
Below, we’ve listed 8 simple guide to protect yourself during an earthquake.
- Do not run away- Do not try running during an earthquake, this is because you can be thrown off balance and fall during the shocks and objects falling may hit you since you don’t have a stable balance as you run.
- If you are indoors, take shelter under a sturdy piece of furniture or a corner of a wall and stay away from windows and mirrors. Cover your head and neck during this process.
- If you are outside, make sure you stay away from buildings and any object that could fall. Always keep a good distance.
- If you are in a car, make sure to pull up at a distance from any object that could fall and stay inside till the quake is over.
- When exiting a building, make sure to use the stairs, never use the elevator.
- Don’t smoke or light up a candle because of an explosion risk as a result of a gas leak.
- Do not make unnecessary phone calls to congest the telephone network
- Store dangerous equipment in safe and secured compartments
Hope you enjoyed this article, why don’t you take some time to comment and share with your loved ones. It pays to know!!!